If there is one area A LOT of women struggle with when it comes to losing weight, its their belly.
Thats why I have put together 7 best foods to lose belly fat along with other important and proven nutritional tips that you can implement into your lifestyle.
Women tend to cary 6%-11% more body fat on average than men.
It is important to understand that women naturally store more fat in their abdominal area for the purpose of reproduction – the ability to fall pregnant, carry babies and give birth.
The fat storage increases even more nearing the end of the pregnancy. This is absolutely necessary for a healthy and safe reproductive process to occur.
There are other factors that can contribute to why some of us women hold more fat in our abdominal area than others.
The main reason for this is genetics, but these other reasons can contribute to the problem, making it even worse.
Some common reasons for this include:
- Lack of exercise
- Lack of sleep
- Poor diet
Don’t worry! There are definitely some simple steps you can take to help lose excess belly fat, and which can be maintained long term.
High fat low carb diets can help burn more abdominal fat
Our bodies have two main types of fat. Subcutaneous fat, which finds home just under your skin, and visceral fat, which accumulates in your abdominal area.
Visceral fat settles around your organs and too much of this fat is said to be linked to inflammation and insulin resistance.
This type of fat is considered dangerous and can put someone at serious health risks if too much of this fat accumulates. This is because of where it stores in the body (around internal organs).
Studies show that low carb diets such a the keto diet are very effective in helping to remove this type of fat.
An 8 week study on 69 overweight men and women found those who followed a low-carb diet lost 10 per cent more visceral fat and 4.4 per cent more total fat than those on a low-fat diet.
A study on adults also shows that those followed a diet higher in protein and less carbs had a lower body mass index, higher good HDL cholesterol and a smaller waist circumference which is a result of reduced visceral fat.
7 best foods to lose belly fat
- Avocados contain healthy mono-saturated fats, which stop the spikes in blood sugar levels that cause your body to store fat around your abdomen and waist.
- The healthy fats in avocados help reduce belly bloating and also helps our bodies to absorb carotenoids, which is a cancer-fighting compound found in colourful fruits and veggies such as tomatoes, carrots, and spinach.
2. Dairy – Low fat milk, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, swiss cheese
- Multiple studies show a strong link between higher levels of calcium and fat loss.
- Low levels of calcium causes your fat cells to hold onto fat, including abdominal fat.
- Some of the best foods high in calcium are dairy milk, greek yogurt, cottage cheese and swiss cheese. Consuming these foods daily can help maintain healthy calcium levels and help you to steadily lose weight.
- Eggs are high in protein.
- Protein is the number one macronutrient with the greatest thermogenic affect.
- The thermogenic affect of protein is between 20%-35% meaning this is the percentage of calories from protein that are burned by your body to digest the food.
- Carbohydrates and fats thermogenic affect is only between 5%-15%.
- Eggs are an easy option and fairly inexpensive. They are also a great source sources of vitamin D, which research also suggests may play a role in weight loss.
- Nuts are high in healthy fats, antioxidants and protein and low in carbs.
- Studies show diets high in protein and fat and low in carbs can help with long term weight loss and reduction in visceral “belly” fat.
- The fibre and protein in almonds are said to keep you fuller for longer and keep your digestive health under control.
- Bananas are extremely high in potassium and fibre. Fibre helps maintain good digestion and helps to keep us full for longer.
- Potassium is a mineral that can actually help reduce the amount of belly swelling sodium in your body.
- Again, eating fat is one of the best ways to lose fat if you are on a carb-restrictive diet.
- Salmon is rich in omega 3 fatty acids.
- These fatty acids help to reduce fat mass. Any food high in fat, preferably healthy fat and low carbs will help to keep you full for longer and fights hunger cravings.
- For more information on eating fat for weight loss, you can take a look at my article Eating Fat to Lose Fat.
- Blueberries are not only high in antioxidants, but a a recent study on rats that ate a diet rich in blueberries lost more visceral fat “belly fat”. This is the bad fat linked to heart disease and diabetes.
- Optimum belly fat loss that can be maintainable long term, should achieved with a combination a healthy diet high in healthy fats, proteins and low to moderate carbs, reduced stress, getting enough sleep and of course exercise is always a bonus and extremely important for maintaining good health.
- A low carb, high fat diet like the Keto Custom Plan can really set you on your path to faster healthy weight loss that is maintainable long term.
- Take out all the guess work and save yourself LOADS of time and planning by getting the keto custom plan in a few minutes.
- By taking the 3o second free quiz first, your macro balance is worked out perfectly for you and a personalised plan is created around the keto foods you like!