Alright, let’s talk exercise mats! Are you looking for an exercise mat for high impact workout? If you take part in high-intensity interval training (HIIT) like P90, Insanity, T25, Plyometrics, Zumba and more, you need a great mat. But, how do you find an exceptional mat?
I have come across numerous exercise mats in the market and with lots of options, selecting a mat can prove to be an uphill task. If you want to get the most out of your practice sessions and cushion your body your exercise mat has to be of high quality.
Additionally, it has to offer you a sense of security to create a comfortable environment that facilitates safe and effective practice. Nothing is as worse as slipping and sliding in the middle of your workout. It’s just a nightmare. If you want to avoid such a mishap, you should invest in a high-end mat. Presented below are some hints that will help you buy the best exercise mat for high-intensity interval training.
How To Choose A Good Exercise Mat
1. Size – The right workout mat should be suitable for your structure and height. A short mat will ruin your workout experience. Thus, it’s advisable that you practice with a mat that is ideal for your body structure. The exercise mat you pick should be of perfect width and length, neither too long nor too short.
The width of the mat should contain your body while performing the workouts otherwise, you might end up hurting yourself. Thus, a proper exercise mat should always be proportionate to your structure and size. Furthermore, when choosing the size you should not forget about the storage space you have back at home or it will be hard to store the mat as recommended.
2. Thickness – The thickness of your exercise mat matters as it can affect your level of comfort when working out. A mat that is extremely thin might not give you enough cushioning to help you take part in HIIT. I suggest that you get a mat with extra cushioning you give you the necessary support and balance.
A thick mat will protect your joints, knees, elbows, and spine from the hard surface. Get a 20mm exercise mat for HIIT. It will give you the cushioning that you require to do your exercises properly without feeling pain.
3. Material – The material that you pick will affect your exercise mats longevity and sponginess level. Thus, selecting the right material for your mat is critical. Recently, exercise mat manufacturers are turning to eco-friendly materials like resin and rubber. Exercise mats made from natural rubber are in high demand because they become a stick with moisture eliminating your worries about slipping from them.
If you are allergic to the smell of rubber or latex, you should stay away from rubber mats. Instead, you can go for PVC mats that are made using vinyl. The idea is providing comfort while preventing slips.
4. Stickiness – A sticky exercise mat prevents you from sliding all over the place. In simple terms, the mats are slip resistant and thus excellent for offering balance. PVC mats are the stickiest compared to their rubber counterparts. However, they don’t have much traction. Other materials like jute, rubber, and cotton have more traction because of their raised texture.
5. Weight – If you plan to move around your mat while working out, you should get one that is low weight and portable. It makes no sense to buy an exercise mat that you cannot carry to your HIIT classed. I recommend that you stay away from heavy mats like the plague as they are troublesome to carry around. Thus, check the weight of the mat you want to buy if you need to know whether you can carry it around with lots of ease.
6. Color – Colors tell more about your personality than you imagine. Brighter colors are for cheerful people and provide the necessary motivation. On the flipside, darker colored mats are for the mysterious. Dark colors reflect the minimalist in you.
The color of your mat is crucial as it also plays a role in motivating you mentally. For this reason, going for your favorite colors is an excellent decision as they will help you feel good when working out.
7. Price – Pick a workout mat that fits your budget. I advise you to avoid going for the cheapest options just because you need a mat. Instead, you should go for a high-quality alternative even though you might have to dig deeper into your pocket to get it. It’s better to go for an expensive mat as it will serve you for long if treated with lots of care. Low-quality mats won’t remain steady while doing your workout and give you the amount of comfort that you need to avoid getting hurt.
Best Exercise Mats For High-Intensity Interval Training
1. Gorilla Mat
This mat measures 6ft x 4ft x 1/4 inch two times larger than normal exercise mats and weigh 14.4 pounds. It also comes with a microfiber towel. Gorilla mats are premium quality eco-friendly mats larger than standard mats and are designed to boost your performance and offer you lots of comforts. The mats are created to turn your home or space into a workout area as soon as you roll them out.
Gorilla mats are recommended because of multiple reasons:
- Thick double-sided design – This raises the durability and non-slip properties of the mats. The mats come with a unique, circular pattern at the bottom to grip and prevent it from sliding while you are exercising.
- Protects floor and joints – Make your workouts a lot easier and enjoyable by placing your gorilla mat on any surface.
- Towel straps – Every gorilla mat comes with a microfiber towel to wipe away moisture to give you a bit of extra padding and grip. Furthermore, the Velcro straps keep your mat rolled up for storage.
- Lifetime warranty – You can workout on the mats with your shoes and they won’t get damaged. Since gorilla mats are of high quality, the manufacturer stands behind them with a lifetime warranty.
About the brand:
Gorilla mats are one of the top sellers of high end and durable exercise products. It is dedicated to helping you get into shape by manufacturing large, non-slip and spacious mats from nontoxic materials to absorb the impact from high-intensity workouts. The mats are tougher than high-intensity workouts.
2. Square 36
This 6ft x 6ft exercise mat from Square 36 is ideal for high-intensity workouts like P90x, plyometrics or Insanity anywhere. It weighs 19 pounds and can also be used together with other gym equipment like kettlebells or ropes without getting damaged. Its surface is also made from tough material to allow you to train with your shoes.
Benefits of Square 36 mats
- Nontoxic materials – The mats are made from high-grade non-toxic materials. You can do your part to protect the environment by getting one of them.
- Storage bag and straps – Square 36 exercise mats are easy to store as they come with storage straps that keep them rolled up and a storage bag to keep them.
- Portable – I am amazed that as large as this mat is, carrying it is a breeze. You can use it in your living room today, carry it to your garage or workout classes the day after.
- Used with other mats – If you are done with high-intensity workouts you can use this mat with the Square 36 yoga mat for yoga as well as stretching.
- Lifetime warranty – Square 36 mats are produced using advanced technology meaning that they can last your lifetime. The manufacturer stands behind them with a lifetime warranty because they have faith in their products.
About Square 36:
Square 36 is among the pioneers in selling oversides exercise mats for high-intensity workouts. It aims at revolutionizing the fitness market by going out of their way to make quality products for their clients and offering unmatched customer care.
The Gxmmat large exercise mat measures 6ft x 5ft and 7mm in thickness. It weighs 16.98 pounds is perfect for your home as it allows you more freedom when exercising. You don’t have to bother about moving off the mat in the middle of your workout.
Benefits of Gxmmat
- Large size – The large size is ideal for high-intensity workouts like Zumba and insanity. With such a mat you don’t have to bother about having sufficient space for your workout.
- Non-toxic materials – I like that Gxmmat is made from high-quality non-toxic materials that are eco-friendly. It is free from latex, phthalate, silicone and other toxins.
- Lightweight – This mat doesn’t weigh much and can be carried around with lots of ease.
Storage bag and Velcro straps – This mat comes with a bag for storage and Velcro straps to keep it rolled up ready for storage or transportation.
- Lifetime warranty – The Gxmmat exercise mat comes with a lifetime guarantee meaning that you can return it to the seller if it fails to meet your anticipations for a refund.
Gxmmat is known in the workout circles for producing mats for both high intensity and low impact workouts. Whether you are looking for a cheap or high-end exercise mat, Gxmmat has a wide variety of options with the right balance of price and quality.