Exercise bikes are among the most popular machines used at homes, and for good reason. They’re arguably the best option for effective cardio-respiratory training, especially the low-impact variety.
Importantly, they’re often also the most compact option.
BEST SELLERS: folding exercise bikes
That compact size is what draws most to exercise bikes in general. Compared to other common cardio machines like treadmills and elliptical trainers, exercise bikes tend to take up relatively little space in your home gym.
However, what if you could go even smaller? What if you could bring that footprint to something that could fit anywhere in your home and be stowed away in your closet? What you’re looking for is a great folding exercise bike. Today we’re going to show you our top picks for the best folding exercise bikes currently available.
We’ve gone through the process of searching for, selecting, comparing and checking the best models on the market. Once we’ve gone over our picks, we’ll talk in-depth about what makes folding bikes so interesting and why they’re among the best pieces of home exercise equipment you can get.
After that, we’ll give you all the info you could possibly need to make a good, educated decision on which is the right product for you. At the end of today’s reading, you should be capable of recognizing the positive features of any bike on the market, as well as what to stay away from.
Best Folding Exercise Bike for small spaces
- 189.99 159.99【10-LEVEL RESISTANCE & APP Simulation Game】: This exercise bike has a ten-level adjustable magnetic resistance system, so you have more exercise intensity options, and the exercise bike is smooth and quiet, don't worry about too much noise. The simulated game scene allows you to experience more sports fun, speed up and surpass and get the first place, you can also play with your friends, unconsciously you have completed today's fitness goals, so simple, start to challenge.
- 【DIGITAL DISPLAY & TABLET/PHONE STAND】: This indoor stationary bike monitors your Speed/Calorie/Distance/Sports Time/Heart Rate at any time. Strengthens the core and reduces body weight during aerobic exercise while tightening the skin to maintain a perfect body. Helps rehabilitation after knee surgery.
- 【COMFORTABLE & 6-LEVEL ADJUSTABLE SEAT】:The exercise bike seat can withstand up to 300 pounds. The height of the seat can be adjusted up and down, and you can adjust to the most comfortable position for exercise. The 13*9.4inch seat size provide strong support during long time rides without the need for an extra gel cushion. Allows comfort and longer rides.
Ancheer’s folding exercise bike represents a new echelon of folding exercise bikes that offer a functionality that’s almost as good as that of full-sized bikes.
One of the main arguments against folding models is that you’re losing the in-built features most often associated with a complete display unit. However, with the technology being what it is today, manufacturers can pack all those tools into a smartphone app. That’s exactly what Ancheer did.
The bike itself is made tough. With an aluminum frame, it’s robust enough for sustained use but light enough to store away easily. It features a fully adjustable and padded seat. The magnetic resistance mechanism offers 10 levels of challenge, which is plenty enough for most people to get everything from a light warmup to a full-blown workout.
The software package that comes with the bike includes a number of progress tracking tools but also a cycling game that requires you to use your pedaling power to progress through the story.
Overall, it’s the great folding exercise bike that offers a bunch of innovative design features.
- Great build quality that can withstand frequent use
- Fully adjustable seat that’s padded and fairly comfortable
- A full suite of mobile apps that offer monitoring and entertainment
- Not the cheapest model in this segment for sure
- Foldable recumbent exercise bike with quiet V-belt double-drive transmission System. Precision-balanced flywheel; 8-level adjustable magnetic tension control System
- Folding waterproof PVC equipment mat(79"l x 35.4"W x .24"H) for floor protection and noise reduction when exercising
- Easy-to-read LCD display tracks your distance, calories, time, speed, and heart RATE
Folding bikes are all about being compact and saving on space. However, what if you could get a similar form factor from a recumbent bike? Exerpeutic is one of the few brands out there that knows how to pull this off.
They’ve created a fully folding recumbent bike that delivers the benefits inherent in cycling in a reclined position, but which also packs up neatly. Once fully extended, Exerpeutic 400XL reveals all of the classic features of a standard recumbent design.
You’ll find a padded seat with backrest, side-mounted handlebars that feature heart rate sensors, and a built-in display unit. As far as resistance goes, there are 8 levels of magnetic resistance to choose from.
What makes this bike so valuable is the fact that you can use it under a desk. The frame it sits on is robust but also quite slim, so you’ll easily get under a normal sized desk. Overall, this is the best recumbent folding exercise bike you can get your hands on.
- One of the best recumbent folding bike designs on the market
- Comes with a fully padded seat and side-mounted heart rate sensors
- Folds up into a tiny space considering its design
- The seat, although padded, might become uncomfortable after longer rides
- EXCELLENT CARDIO WORKOUT - The fat-blasting cardio offered by this exercise device is significant, as each pedal targets the quads, hamstrings, and glutes. Not only does it burn fat, but it also strengthens the leg’s muscles, giving you well-toned legs
- ADJUSTABLE RESISTANCE - This bicycle has a manually adjustable resistance that offers various degrees of exercises. With eight preset levels of magnetic resistance control, you can set to simulate various types of workouts depending on the resistance.
- FOLDABLE - The exercise utility is designed to fold compactly with its advanced frame design that allows for easier storage and portability as it folds up, granting you more space at home. It also has rubberized foot based to prevent scratching and damage
Marcy is one of those names that frequently features in discussions about entry-level and mid-tier exercise equipment. Their foldable upright exercise bike tows the company line – offering reliable performance with consistency on a daily basis. This is an upright bike, meaning that it sports a more aggressive riding position. However, those who dislike this position will appreciate the additional reduction in size that this design brings to the table.
In terms of hardware, this bike offers a number of great features. The seat is sporty but comfortable and adjustable by height. It might take some getting used to though. The frame is wide and stable as long as you don’t go too hard on it. This model features a built-in display unit and standard adjustable resistance.
Marcy has once again created a great-value-for-money product with this folding exercise bike.
- An extremely compact bike that packs up small
- Comes with a robust and stable frame
- Awesome bang for the buck value
- Comes with a built-in display unit
- Although adjustable by height, the seat on this bike might be too low for taller users
- Heavy Duty and High Durability steel frame construction with up to 400 lbs weight capacity. 20% more steel than the Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike for more maximum performance.
- An 8 level Magnetic Tension control system for an easier or more challenging workout.
- Folds to 1/2 the size, so it is uniquely compact; Folded Dimensions: 26.4" L X 24.8" W X 57.5" H
Next up is another Exerpeutic model that offers a great combo of price, performance, and features. This time around it’s the Gold 500 XLS model and it’s an interesting one. This is another upright bike but one that features a neutral seat design optimized for comfort more than anything else.
With that said, Exerpeutic went above and beyond with aesthetics. Its minimalist design, burnt bronze finish, and non-standard frame pattern give it a high-end vibe.
Once broken down into specific components, things become even better.
The frame, although different from the standard pattern, offers more stability and support. The seat is adjustable by height with enough padding to satisfy even the most sensitive users. With the standard 8 levels of resistance, you’re looking at a smooth, easy-going machine that will get you the performance you need.
On top of that, it features a good quality built-in display for easier tracking of your training progress.
- One of the best-looking folding bikes on the market
- Great seat packed with plenty of padding
- Comfortable seating position
- Too much padding can be an issue for some
- [MEN'S HEALTH EDITOR'S CHOICE]: Supports up to 300 lbs. weight capacity which is 75 lbs. more capacity than most other folding bikes. Very easy to get off and on the bike, providing a more effective and comfortable workout.
- [Large LCD Display]: An easy to read large window (3.3”W x 1.5”H) LCD display that indicates distance, calories burned, time, speed, pulse and scan. Hand pulse sensors for monitoring your target heart rate
- [SEATING COMFORT]: Large seat cushion for people of any size. Easily adjustable to fit 5’3” to 6’1” user heights. 3 piece “high torque” cranking system provides a smooth and consistent pedaling motion. Intended to be used on the hard flat floor
We’re continuing down the Exerpeutic line of bikes with their basic folding upright model. This is what Exerpeutic offers in the entry-level range and it’s great – for the most part.
The bike sits on a sturdy frame made from solid materials that feature the standard pattern we see across this entire category. Being an upright model means that you’ll be enjoying a much smaller form factor once you fold the bike.
The seat design on this bike is very similar to that of our previous pick. In other words, you’re looking at a heavily padded, neutral seat that was designed with comfort in mind. The seat is adjustable by height. The built-in display unit offers the usual metrics and is average at best.
As far as resistance goes, you’re getting the same 8 levels of resistance that most of the entry-level bikes share. Overall, it’s a solid option without being outstanding.
- An affordable beginner entry-level model that performs
- Folds up neatly into a small package
- Comes with a neutral, heavily padded seat
- Such a wide seat might prove to be uncomfortable for some
- Sliding Desktop: large fully adjustable desktop with tilt, forward, back, up and down adjustability for sitting or standing positions. 3 angle adjustments (0, 16 and 33 degrees), 5 height adjustments 41" up to 45". Storage Drawer. Arm rest. LCD Computer
- Patented XBike Desk and Exercise Semi-Recumbent Bicycle. 2.5" Thick large AirSoft seat with extra comfort. Adjustable to fit 51 to 63 user height
- Weight capacity: 300 lbs. Semi-recumbent design for comfortable, effective workouts
The last model on our is something a bit different that also comes from Exerpeutic. Named the WorkFit 1000, this folding bike was created in an effort to solve the main issue modern working humans have to deal with – sitting for way too long.
Exerpeutic’s solution was to put that time you spend sitting to good use. This bike features a fairly standard upright design until you reach the handlebars which you won’t find. Instead, you’re presented with a small desktop where you can put your laptop and work while you pedal.
The bike features adjustment at every step of the way. You can adjust the seat height, the desktop height, and even the angle. There is a storage drawer while Exerpeutic even went so far as to install an armrest. Yes, this bike folds and actually takes up very little space. If you’re into staying active while you work, this might just be the ideal option for you.
- An interesting concept that allows you to work while staying active
- Built on a solid frame using quality materials
- Features good resistance and a comfortable seat with a backrest
- Slightly more expensive than many straight folding bikes
- It’s a niche design that limits its usefulness
Should You Get a Folding Exercise Bike?
Exercise bikes remain one of the best and most effective means of doing cardio at home. With a static bike, you’re getting most of the benefits of riding out on the road with very few of the risks.
These machines are among the oldest pieces of exercise equipment due to the inherent simplicity of their design. Using an exercise bike gives you access to low-impact cardio that won’t strain your joints but will easily push you to your limits.
So, how does all of that translate to folding exercise bikes? Are the benefits still there despite the somewhat compromised stability?
The answer to this question is “yes, but”. Folding bikes sacrifice some benefits in order to add others. More specifically, you’re sacrificing two things for the sake of a smaller form factor:
- Size of the flywheel, which is much smaller than most regular exercise bikes
- Reduced stability of the frame
A smaller flywheel usually means a lower quality drive system that can be more prone to wear and tear, and breakdown faster. Lighter and less stable frames tend to wobbly, creak and rattle more, which some users might find particularly annoying or disconcerting.
What you get in return is a much smaller piece of equipment that is more suitable for people with limited space for exercising in their home. We’ll go more into this a bit later, but folding exercise bikes also tend to be cheaper than regular bikes. If you’re on a limited budget and are confined by space, but you can live with their drawbacks, then you should definitely consider a folding exercise bike.
Choosing the Best Folding Exercise Bike
Finding the right folding bike can be a tricky process if you’re not 100% sure what features you need or want. For all intents and purposes, that should be your primary goal. If you’re not quite sure what we mean by this, stick with us through this section of the guide. What we’ll discuss next are some of the most important features to look for when choosing the right model.
Knowing the Different Types of Folding Bikes
Folding bikes, just like their full-sized counterparts, arrive in different shapes and formats. The two greatly differing variants you’ll see are upright and recumbent bikes. We’ll get into the various differences between the two later on in the guide, but for now, you need to know that they’re not the same.
With that said, we can go one step deeper. Upright bikes, which are generally more aggressive in terms of body position and seating height, come in two different shapes. You’ll find upright bikes with a sporty seat and those with a neutral, flat seat. Different people prefer different seats. It’s a matter of personal preference.
Actual Folded Size
One thing many owners of folding bikes tend to overlook is the actual size of the bike when it’s folded up. Sure, all of these bikes fold, but they’re not all the same dimensions when folded.
Some folding bikes aren’t actually all that compact when folded. Check the dimensions twice before you make your final decision.
Folding Exercise Bike’s Frame Design
The next thing to consider is the frame design, build quality and overall appearance. You’ll notice that most of our picks feature a very similar frame design. However, if you look a bit closer, you’ll notice that there are certain differences between the models.
Whether the feet are different width or the main support beams are of different thicknesses, different manufacturers use different measurements. It pays to be vigilant with this one. The frame is probably the most important component on a folding bike as it’s the only thing that keeps you from checking whether gravity still works.
Secondary Features for Best Folding Exercise Bikes
Last but not least, make sure that secondary features such as the built-in display and media shelves are up to your standards. These don’t generally have much impact on the performance of the bike but can significantly influence how convenient and enjoyable your cardio training ends up being.
If the display doesn’t have many metrics to track, or doesn’t work properly, then measuring your progress will be more difficult and, for many people, frustrating.
Similarly, if your phone, tablet or kindle doesn’t fit on the media shelf properly, then this will also frustrate the hell out of you, and reduce the likelihood of you actually using the bike.
Frequently Asked Questions About Folding Exercise Bikes
We’ve reached a point in our guide where we’ve covered a lot of core things regarding this specific type of exercise bikes. However, there are still some questions that pop up more often than others. Here are the most frequently asked questions regarding folding bikes:
Are folding exercise bikes any good?
That’s a matter of perspective, and very much depends on what you’re hoping to get from a folding bike. Being realistic with your expectations is critical whenever you’re dealing with non-standard fitness equipment.
Are folding bikes as good as their full-sized cousins? That depends on what you mean by good. Generally speaking, folding bikes won’t have as solid or stable frames as regular bikes. Nor will their consoles be as advanced. You must give up something for the space-saving nature of folding equipment.
But, that’s very much the point.
A full-sized bike won’t do you any good if you don’t have enough space to put it or if you have to squeeze past it every time you need to go to the bathroom. Not only will you struggle with it, but you’ll grow to resent it. Folding exercise bikes are good for when you need a compact fitness machine that doesn’t take up lots of space. Simple as that.
Is a folding upright exercise bike or a folding recumbent exercise bike better?
This is another question that many users have that doesn’t have a clear-cut answer. These two types of bikes aren’t better or worse compared to each other. They’re designed to deliver the same results (effective cardiorespiratory exercise), but they take diametrically different approaches to get there.
What you need to understand is that it’s not a matter of which one is better. These two designs of exercise bike were created to offer solutions to different problems.
An upright bike has many benefits of its own, but so does a recumbent bike.
A much better question would be ‘are folding recumbent bikes better for your joints?’ In this case the answer is a solid yes. The fact that you are semi-reclined in a seat with the pedals in front of you rather than beneath you has a number of beneficial effects:
- Your weight is evenly distributed across your whole buttocks, which reduces the pressure placed on your ischial tuberosities, or “sitting bones”
- Your lower back is supported, and not hunched
- Your head is in a natural, forward-facing position, which reduces strain on your neck
- Your arms are not forced to support any of your weight, eliminating potential strain on your wrists
In short, recumbent bikes change your body’s weight distribution to reduce strain on certain joints. This is generally why recumbent bikes are often used as a part of the injury rehabilitation process, and are more suitable for people who suffer from various joint pains.
Why are folding exercise bikes cheaper than non-folding exercise bikes?
We’re often used to non-standard versions of a product costing more than the standard version. So why is that not the case with folding bikes? There is a very simple answer to this question. A folding frame is an important component, but it isn’t the most expensive one. Resistance systems, flywheels, built-in control modules all cost more on average. It just so happens that those are fairly basic on folding exercise bikes because there’s just no room for the more advanced stuff. Hence a lower manufacturing price.
If you live in a place with little free space such as an apartment, having a folding exercise bike is a must if you want to enjoy the benefits of working out from the comfort of your home. Although this type of exercise bike is basically a stripped-down of the normal exercise bike which is usually very huge and bulky, it has the benefits of being small and compact. This is especially important for those who are space-challenged because since this machine will only require very little space to operate, you won’t have to worry about it taking up all the free space in your living room anymore. When not in used, you can easily fold it and store it nicely under your bed, in your closet or just place it neatly in the corner. When it comes to calorie burning, it is interesting to note that a foldable exercise bike can help you burn 4 times more calories than walking. It is also a great value for money because you can basically get the performance of a high-grade exercise bike without having to sacrifice too much free space.
Best Folding Exercise Bike: How To Find A Reliable And Durable Model That’s Right For You
When buying a folding exercise bike, it is important that you invest in a model that can be easily folded up to a size where it will hardly take up any space. This is very important if you don’t live in a large house because free space is limited and you surely don’t want to make your house more crowded by having an exercise machine that will always get in your way. You should also make sure that the model you’re interested in can provide a safe, low-impact, and effective workout for your body. You should definitely avoid buying models that are poorly made because they may cause injury to your joints and knees. A good model will always come with non-skid and strapped pedals that will ensure that your feet will stay in place no matter how fast you go. Durability and comfort are also another two important features you should be paying attention to. Since you will be using the machine everyday for a long time, you want to make sure that you invest in a machine that’s well-built and comfortable for working out. It is also a good idea to get a model that comes with a computer so that you can use it to track important details of your workout such as your total riding time, the total amount of calories you have burned so far, distance covered and your current cycling speed. In case you haven’t notice already, the best place to get one is to buy it online because you can usually get it cheaper by as much as 20 percent than you would for getting the same model at your local store. To put it succinctly, if you’re someone who would like to get in shape but you don’t have enough free space at your place for a normal workout machine, a cheap folding exercise bike can be a blessing in many ways. Besides providing you with great cardio exercise and toning your muscles, it can also help you build up your stamina and endurance.
These are the significant focuses that you should consider before acquiring a collapsing bicycle:
There are numerous sorts of bicycles accessible, yet the best bicycle out there is one which fits in your spending limit. The monetary allowance ought to be the principal thing to consider before making a buy.
The second factor that you should consider is the means by which fit you right now are and what level of activity you need from your bicycle.
Not all bicycles offer a similar sort of obstruction. The decision of the correct bicycle is needy upon the amount one is accustomed to working out.
Weight Bearing Capability
The third factor on the rundown is the weight bearing limit of the bicycle. A portion of the bicycles can just tolerate 250 pounds, while other are made to endure weight as much as 400 pounds. It is imperative to contemplate this.
Tallness Adjustment Choices
In the event that you are a taller or shorter than normal client, you should have the option to change the tallness of the foldable exercise bicycle.
Ensure you investigate the stature alteration includes the bicycle has. The client ought to have the option to arrive at the pedals with no trouble.
The following point in the choice of the bicycle is the sort of seat it has. Open to seating enables the client to practice for a significant stretch of time with no issues.
In any case, you should remember that the seat can be changed or supplanted with other agreeable alternatives, gave similar fits into your spending limit.
Exercise bicycles likewise accompany extra highlights that upgrade your activity schedule. A portion of the highlights include: greater LCDs, sections for holding your Kindle/iPad/tablets, beat rate handles, and so on.
These highlights will likewise be considered before settling on your ultimate conclusion on the off chance that they are things that you are searching for. Its preferable to purchase progressively over you think you need so in the event that you later choose its something you need you don’t need to supplant the bicycle.
Since you are searching for a collapsing activity bicycle you are worried about how much space it takes up when collapsed up. The Exerpeutic GOLD 500 XLS Folding Upright Bike is the reasonable victor occupying the leaset room.
Likewise check to be certain the bicycle is effectively moved around. Wheels will make it simple to move from space to room or from a storeroom.
The material the bicycle is produced using will have the essential bearing on how substantial the bicycle is. Steel while being the sturdiest material is additionally the heaviest. Aluminum is a decent bargain in light weight and sturdy development. The ProGear 225 Foldable Magnetic Upright Bike is the lightest bicycle on our rundown.
Simplicity of Assembly
There are two contemplations here. First most bicycles don’t come all set our of the crate. Some get together will be required. Bicycles will vary on the fact that they are so difficult to collect and the nature of the directions.
Every one of the bicycles on our rundown exceed expectations in such manner. What’s more search for the bicycle to accompany the devices expected to gather the bicycle in the event that you don’t have any.
The subsequent factor is the manner by which simple it to crease up for capacity and after that unfurl when you need to get an exercise. The simplest bicycle on our rundown to gather is the XTERRA Fitness FB350 Folding Exercise Bike.
– – –
Focal points of a Foldable Exercise Bike
The first and the most fundamental preferred position is that they are anything but difficult to utilize. You don’t have to venture out to and from the rec center so as to practice as the equivalent should be possible from the general solace of your home.
No Need for a Lot of Space
Collapsing bicycles don’t occupy as a lot of room when contrasted with a non-collapsing bicycle. Actually, a large number of the previously mentioned bicycles can be collapsed into equal parts and can be stowed in little spaces after their utilization.
This makes them ideal for littler lofts, shared spaces, or even simply individuals who need to keep their collapsing bicycle off the beaten path and far out when not being used.
Spending limit Friendly Choices
There is a scope of costs with regards to collapsing bicycles and there is something accessible for each spending limit. This makes these bicycles a reasonable type of activity.
Various Forms of Exercises
Foldable exercise bicycles enable the clients to experience various types of activity regimens relying on their needs. The distinctive opposition level in the bicycles settles on the activity level decisions simple for a wide range of biking fans, in view of their wellness level.
Perfect for Beginners
As a result of the above-demonstrated focal points, these bicycles are ideal for clients who are simply beginning with biking. These bicycles are additionally reasonable for individuals who are attempting to shed pounds and think that its troublesome or too costly to even consider exercising in rec centers.
A large number of the collapsing activity bicycles accompany the consoles for the gadgets like Kindle, iPad, and the tablets. This enables the clients to appreciate the diversion alongside the activity.
Contemplations For a Folding Exercise Bike
The above areas clarified various highlights of the five best collapsing bicycles offered and numerous favorable circumstances that these bicycles can give. In any case, the inquiry that emerges now is how would you select the correct sort of collapsing bicycle for exercise.
- BEST SELLERS: folding exercise bikes
- Best Folding Exercise Bike for small spaces
- 1. Ancheer Folding Exercise Bike
- 2. Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike
- 3. Marcy Foldable Upright Exercise Bike
- 4. Exerpeutic Gold 500 XLS Foldable Upright Bike
- 5. Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Exercise Bike
- 6. Exerpeutic ExerWorK 1000 Desk Folding Exercise Bike
- Should You Get a Folding Exercise Bike?
- Choosing the Best Folding Exercise Bike
- Frequently Asked Questions About Folding Exercise Bikes
- Best Folding Exercise Bike: How To Find A Reliable And Durable Model That’s Right For You
- Focal points of a Foldable Exercise Bike