If you want to make lasting gains in strength and muscle, one of the most effective ways is to engage in compound exercises.
Doing exercises such as deadlifts, pull-ups, bench presses, and squats (one of the best) are the most effective at strengthening the body and building muscle. With a Rack or Power Cage, you can safely perform all of these exercises from your home gym or garage. You can even perform deadlifts.
A quality power cage can help you safely engage in heavy lifts even better than those provided by squat stands. The increased stability improves the effectiveness of bodyweight exercises, such as pull-ups and dips. Even the best power towers cannot compare. So, if you have the money and space, a power rack is one of the best additions you can make to your home gym.
Because they’re expensive, you’re going to want to do plenty of research before dropping your hard-earned dollars on one.
In this article, I will cover examples of the best power cages for your garage gym, helping you decide which model is the best choice for your budget. At the end of these reviews, I will provide a buyer’s guide with additional considerations
The Best Power Racks
Whether you’re an experienced lifter, or you’re just getting into training with barbells, buying a good power rack will be a substantial investment. However, purchasing a low-quality rack could be one of the worst decisions you could make.
In this round-up review, I have selected the cages that I feel are most worth your money. Whether any of the choices are the best fit for you depends on your budget, how much you’re planning to lift, the size of your home gym, and any other preferences that you might have.
Built out of high-quality steel, this adjustable rack has a square tube design to ensure stability. The lock nut and triangle bracket provides strength with a maximum load capacity of 330 pounds. You can adjust the rack to your height and gradually get better and better results. Adjust the barbell bracket from 23.2 to 34.1 inches for bench press exercises.
With an innovative and multifunctional design, use the pull-up bar, and a unique base will help you do squats, dips, presses, and other rack movements. Exercise a variety of muscle groups, including your middle and lower abs, obliques, thighs, hips, calves, biceps, tricep, and forearms.
Dimensions: 46.1 x 40.5 x 64.2 Inches
Weight: 24.5 kilograms
Kinelo Progear 1600 Ultra Strength 800lb Weight Capacity Power Rack Cage
With heavy-duty tubular steel frame construction, this ultra-strength full power cage will help you take your training to the next level. It includes dual-mounted safety bars and ample walk-in space with enough room to move side to side. Two rear stability bars increase performance by increasing stability.
You can combine this power rack with an adjustable bench to get more out of your purchased equipment. Use the lock-in J-hooks for chin-ups, pull-ups, and more. This rack is available in different configurations with the low row cable attachment, and lat pull-down.
- Easy to construct
- Works for multiple exercises
- If taller than 6ft, you could hit your head when racking the bar
Does not come with plates
Dimensions: 50.4 x 46.3 x 83.7 Inches
Weight: 124.7 Pounds
- HEAVY DUTY FRAME: Constructed with premium quality steel construction, this power, rack supports up to an incredible 805 lb max weight capacity barbell.
- ANGLED PULL UP BAR: The pull up bar is adjustable and reversible with 8 different positions and angled for both wide and narrow grip pull ups.
- SPOTTER ARMS: You will always have a spotter in the Power Zone with safety latches for ease of mind and safety assurance when squatting with heavier weights.
- OLYMPIC PLATE STORAGE: With safety clips, organize weights on racks while adding extra stability when utilizing the machine. (Weights not included)
- OLYMPIC BARS: Fits up to 7 feet Olympic bars.
- RESISTANCE BAND POSTS: 6 resistance band pins (3 per side) to increase versatility and add extra resistance to your lifts and squats.
- NOTE: When using resistance bands, weight plate storage should be fully stacked to prevent tipping over.
- Included Components: Squat Rack, User Manual, Tool, Hardware
As a more basic rack, this equipment provides all the features you need with powder coating, durability, and utility. This piece of equipment supports as much as 805 pounds with premium quality steel construction. The angled pull-up bar provides eight different positions and is adjustable and reversible.
Organize your plates to increase stability when using the equipment. Use one of the 6 Resistance Band pins (3 on either side) to add extra difficulty to your lifts. For safety, place the spotter arms with safety latched to prevent your barbell from falling onto the ground. This rack comes with a 1-year structural frame warranty with 180 days for parts and components.
- Good quality and easy to assemble
- Suitable for tall lifters
- Great for beginners
- Small footprint
- Not compatible with some third-party accessories
- Holes for attachments are not the standard
Dimensions: 38 x 53 x 87 Inches
- Assembled dimensions: 85" Height, 49" Width, 49" Depth. Product weight: 120 Pounds
- Improved multigrip pullup bar includes hooks for resistance band and body weight training
- Included are two spotter arms that include dip attachments, j-cups, landmine attachment plus vertical storage for weight plantes and barbells.
- Constructed with 11 gauge steel, this squat stand has a 1000lb weight capacity. The 2.5in x 2.5in frame offers greater stability
This multi-function adjustable power rack has an 800-pound weight capacity. Standing on an H-shape base, enjoy the safety and stability of heavy-duty steel frame construction. Use the included J-hooks to mount weights at your preferred height.
Included also are two spotter arms with safety locks that can also be used as dip bars. You can also use the new short bars for exercises like pull-ups. Two weight holders stand at the back of the base to increase stability when not in use.
- Effortless installation
- Though the rack is smaller than some other options, it is sturdy with a high weight capacity
- Dip bars are narrow
- The rack is relatively wide, which may cause trouble when racking the weights
Dimensions: 81 x 44 x 46 Inches
Weight: 110 Pounds
This rack was made to be exceptionally versatile, allowing you to do multiple exercises, including push-ups, pull-ups, bench presses, squats, and more. Use this equipment like a power tower or a barbell squat rack. The base of the dip station is constructed with a heavy-duty steel frame capable of supporting as much as 880 pounds.
To rack or unrack your barbell during squat or bench workouts, you can use the adjustable J-hooks. L-hooks are also available to cushion the weight of the barbell and avoid unintentional mishaps. This product comes with warranties to cover damaged or missing parts for six months. All the tools required for assembly are included.
- Easy to assemble, durable equipment
- Wider double-tube spacing than other power towers
- Could be more sturdy, the rack could flip if not weighed down with plates
Dimensions: 42.42 x 40.18 x 84.68 Inches
Weight: 70.4 Pounds
- SPECS: Assembled dimensions are 46 inches wide x 50 inches deep x 85 inches high
- MAXIMUM CAPACITY: Maximum weight of user is 500 pounds. Maximum training load is 500 pounds
- CONSTRUCTION – The 11- and 12- gauge steel tubing allows this bench to handle heavy weight securely, without compromise
- FEATURES: Built in bar and weight storage; Double gusseted uprights provide exceptional stability and security; J cup catches to safely hold barbell
- RELIABILITY: Durable powder coat finish and industrial zinc hardware provide exceptional maintenance free durability
- TRUST: Trust experience; CAP has been a pioneer in fitness for over 30 years and has locations worldwide; Chances are if you have ever worked out, you have used a CAP product
This is the best power rack for beginners as well as seasoned lifters. Like other stands, this stand has adjustable j-cup catches that allow you to perform many exercises, whether using it for barbell training or bodyweight training.
This equipment comes with gusseted uprights to provide extra stability when exercising for safety. The components are made out of cold-rolled steel and topped off with an enduring finish. You can get this rack in a variety of colors, including orange, red, blue, yellow, gray, and white.
- Provides a free-standing pull-up bar
- Comes with all the tools you need for assembly
- Very affordable price for this equipment
- Only supports 300 pounds maximum weight capacity
- Takes up space and isn’t foldable
- Dimensions: 46 x 50 x 85 Inches
- Weight: 65 Pounds
Some of the most attractive features of this power rack include a 360-degree swivel built-in landmine post, exercise band attachment points, spotter arms, durable J-hooks, as well as a raised height pull up bar. The pull-up bar has a knurled grip to prevent slippage from sweaty hands.
Use the exercise band attachments to increase strength and endurance—complete squats with confidence, protected by the spotter arms to avoid mishaps. Organize your plates on either side of the base to improve stability. Use the free-standing design with optional bolts in brackets.
- Solid construction, easy to set up, and aesthetically pleasing
- Doesn’t take up a lot of space
- J-hooks without back support
- May require bolting to the ground to prevent tipping
- Dimensions: 42 x 47 x 85 Inches
- Weight: 121.3 Pounds
- 1500 lbs of real weight capacity with 2" x 3" tubular steel frame construction. Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Two adjustable 2"x 20" high Density rubber grip dip handles with user weight capacity of 600 lbs
- Two 11.5" safety bars and two 35.5" dual mounted safety bars with each set combined weight capacity of 1500 lbs. Compatible with 7' Olympic bars. Safety bars for racking weight bars with no wobbling
- 2 height position adjustable multi-grip chin up/pull up bars with a weight capacity of 600 lbs
- Included Olympic lat pull down and low row cable attachment for strengthening the upper back, shoulders and arms
This Power Cage is capable of handling up to 1500 pounds with a great weight capacity. The heavy-duty tubular steel frame construction provides safety and durability while doing any of the 24 exercises you can do on this equipment. There’s plenty of room to take a wide stance for squats, as well as an additional spotter for safety.
As a great add-on, you can use the X-Class Lat Row cable and Pull Down attachment will help you build up your shoulders, arms, and back. There are multi-grip chin up and pull up bars with two height positions capable of supporting 600 pounds. There are two adjustable dip handles with high-density rubber grips. You can also add the optional Fitness Reality Fitness Bench for doing bench presses and other exercises.
- Lat attachment makes this product special
- Not difficult to construct
- Strong and sturdy, built to last
- Can be tricky fitting the safety bars on the rack
- Barbell bar has no knurling, very smooth
- Dimensions: 85.5 x 52 x 301 Inches
- Weight: 301 Pounds
RESOLVE FITNESS S1 (6898) is a brand new release premium power cage with an impressive 1500-pound total weight capacity on its thick commercial level steel frame that measures 2 x 3 inches. You’ll find two solid safety bars with the rubber coating for your comfort and stability. The larger and longer one is 35.5 inches long and the smaller padded one is 11.5 inches long.
These dual mounted safety bars have 13 adjustable positions and 25 adjustable height levels. You’ll find two multi-grip pull-up and chin-up bars have a total weight capacity of 600 pounds. So you shouldn’t have any concerns about whether it will hold your weight. There is a U-shaped stability bar at the back to improve your security and stability. You can use this power cage with the 7-feet Olympic bars. A large number of lower body and upper body exercises can be performed on this robust, multi-purpose commercial power cage safely.
1500 pounds of user weight limit is quite high as far as the power racks are concerned. The 2” x 3” heavy duty commercial grade steel frame is very strong and durable. And you have plenty of space inside the cage for your different workouts, as you can tell from the photos. You can engage your arms- triceps and biceps, shoulders and back by holding the multi-grip pull up bars with different hand positions. There are two pairs of adjustable spotting bars with rubber coating for a great performance and for you to feel safe and stable during your session.
Any potential denting or scratching are avoided with the rubber coated safety bars. You can rack your weights on the safety bars securely without any shaking or wobbling. Resolve Fitness S1 (6898) weighs 256 pounds and measures 71.5L x 52W x 86H inches as assembled. This power cage can be bolted to any type of ground with its predrilled holes and hardware provided in the box. It is sold on its own with the tools and instructions included but without the weight plates or Olympic bar. You need to purchase them separately if you don’t have them at home.
Resolve Fitness is a division of the well-known southern Californian company Paradigm Health& Wellness Inc. And in March 2018 they started offering light commercial resistance and aerobic training equipment at very competitive prices. They are functional, easy on the eyes with the modern state of the art and innovative design, have biomechanics and sturdy construction. Despite being a very recent release strength training product it is one of the better selling or ranking among power rages, currently ranking the 15th best seller. You can have a great, comfortable and effective workout on this light commercial products in the comfort of your home. It is offered with a warranty of three years for the parts and ten years for the frame.
No matter your budget, lifting goals, or space restrictions, you should be able to find a power rack to take your strength training to the next level. And using this kind of equipment, you’re much more likely to get the results you’re looking for.
A good power rack is one of the most valuable additions you can make to your home gym. It is where you can build the muscle where you can forge the healthiest version of yourself.
frequently asked questions (FAQ)About Recumbent Bikes
Determining who makes the best power racks isn’t easy, because different users have different kinds of needs. If you’re someone looking for a sturdy power cage, then the Fitness Reality X-Class might be what you’re looking for. If you’re looking for something more compact and affordable, then you might be interested in the Yaheetech Pair of Adjustable Racks.
When doing serious lifting, a power rack is worth it. The last thing you might want is for your squat stand to stop providing sufficient support. If you have the budget and floor space for it, there is no reason why you should choose a power rack over a squat rack.
The Titan T-3 Power Rack has many of the same features of the Rogue R-3 Power Rack, though at a much lower price. So, you should look into Titan Power Racks when you need a more affordable alternative to some of the costly commercial equipment out there.
It depends on your preferences. Some prefer to invest as much as $1,000 in a top-quality rack or power cage, come might prefer to make their own. For the most part, this kind of equipment is a long-lasting product. Ideally, after buying a squat rack, you should never have to upgrade, unless you want something better. So, I recommend going for one of the more affordable racks on the market, as long as it includes safety bars and dip bars.
Many different factors could contribute to the expensive price tag on this equipment. The steel could come from different places in the world, of which there could be different rates. And most of the material is heavy and expensive to ship, so that’s another variable. Because they’re a valuable kind of equipment, power racks don’t tend to be cheap.
Not always. A lower price does not necessarily mean that a rack is unsafe or inadequate. However, in most cases, the more money you invest in your home training equipment, the better it will be.