There are many available dumbbells from different companies, so it’s possible that you will spend a lot of time testing and researching which ones are right for you. Each model offers different features, and prices vary within a wide range. But one we’ve really enjoyed are the Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells (Pair), the features we’ve reviewed below.
- Each dumbbell adjusts from 5 to 52.5 pounds; adjusts in 2.5-pound increments up to the first 25 pounds
- Lets you rapidly switch from one exercise to the next
- Combines 15 sets of weights into one, using a unique dial system
- Eliminates the need for multiple dumbbells cluttering your workout space
- Two year warranty on weight plates and parts
If you want dumbbells that allow you to easily switch from one exercise to another, try this Bowflex model. Other features include the following:
- This product was designed to help you eliminate the cluttering that goes with the type whose dumbbell weights cannot be increased or decreased. This model has a weight increment of 2.5 lbs. Such an increment is applicable only for weights up to 25 lbs. It comes with a dial system that effectively link fifteen weights into one unit.
- This product offers a warranty of 2 years for both parts and plates. Once you feel that any of the weights is loosening, call the company right away and have them replace the problematic plates – they have a great online reputation.
- The manual specifies the exercises that you can use for every body part and clearly explains how those exercises should be done. For example, if you are trying to strengthen your legs, the manual teaches on how side lunge, reverse lungs, dead lift stationary lunges, calf raises and wide squats must be performed. This feature is very helpful for people who can’t add more exercises and for those who are not clear about what specific body parts are being targeted by the exercises they are doing.
- The construction is solid. Some reviewers have suggested that even if these dumbbells fall onto a solid surface, they will not break into pieces. However, the manufacturer reminds everyone not to drop the dumbbells from a height above 10 inches.
- The handle has good ergonomics and fits well with the palm. Reviewers say that the grip feels good and natural.
- The dumbbells will benefit especially those who are strengthening their back. If you are fond of lifting weights while standing than from a squatting position, this Bowflex model can easily toughen your back muscles.
- The design is simply great, an aspect that is mentioned by many reviews. The model’s design is something that will surely catch the attention of your exercise buddies.
- The weight range for the dumbbells is from 5 to 5.2 lbs.
- The dumbbells can be used for more than 30 different types of exercises.
- Dimensions for each dumbbell are 15.75 inches for the length, 8 for the width and 9 inches for the height.
- This product is the ideal solution for those who don’t have the luxury of space at home. The dumbbells also have the right size so you can easily tuck them inside a cabinet or under the bed.
- The 2.5 weight increment is good for people who don’t want to get the ugly bulks. You can increase the weights once you see your muscles shrinking and do the other direction when the muscles bulk too much.
- The ergonomics and engineering allow convenient use. The handle fits the hand very well, so there would be little chance of you developing cuts or bruises from long grips associated with long exercise sessions.
There is one setback worth mentioning:
There is one minor setback for this model and it’s about the connector of the plates. The spindles that pick and hold the plates up are strong, but they are made of plastic. If you sit on a bench and accidentally drop a dumbbell, the first that might break is the spindle.
Make sure that you keep that in mind so you will be always be extra careful with these dumbbells. This pair of dumbbells is quite pricey at around $300 and you don’t want to lose that kind of money by being clumsy or careless.